To make a booking
6.30pm Meet in the Victoria Hotel for a three course meal in the hotel’s sea view restaurant together with a scene setting talk on Baytown and its heritage.
8.30pm onwards. A walk down into old Baytown to visit Robin Hood’s Bay folk club in ye Dolphin Inn for a specially themed evening of traditional music (Fridays). Mid week we have the option of ye Laurel Inn’s quiz night.
10.30am Meet in the Victoria Hotel for a guided walk through the byways of Baytown and a personal tour of the ways of the smuggler. For the adventurous, take a guided walk through the Beck tunnel to see the various sealed smugglers’ holes.
12.00-1pm Buffet lunch in the Bay Hotel, located in the dock overlooking the sea.
1pm-3pm. Round and about the Bay. First we take a stroll down the sandy beach (tide permitting) to view the smuggling places overlooking the beach. Returning to Baytown we visit the entrance site of a smuggler’s tunnel located in one of lower Bay’s many cottages.
Next it’s to Old St Stephen’s church sitting high over Bay to hear of its links with the many Bay characters. We end the afternoon with tea and coffee at Thorpe Hall, home of the local squire for centuries, and see for ourselves the close links between the Hall and Bay’s smugglers.
7pm A three course meal either at Smuggler’s restaurant back in the dock in Old Bay or at the Wayfarer Bistro at the top of Bay Bank.
10.30am Meet in the Victoria Hotel for our transport into Whitby. Enjoy another guided walk round the narrow streets of this fishing town and hear how it too had a reputation for smuggling. See and visit the smuggling related places, still in existence today! Then take an hour or so free time to browse the shops and markets of Whitby.
1.00pm Board our transport for a trip to the Raven Hall Hotel in Ravenscar for a two course lunch. Raven Hall Hotel has commanding views of Robin Hood’s Bay. We shall have already heard about its history but can now see for ourselves why its owners were closely linked with the smuggling trade.
3.30pm Return to Robin Hood’s Bay and the end of the tour
(numbers limited so book early).. a select number of places available
- Tuesday 21 –Thursday 23
- Friday 14 – Sunday 16
- Friday 13 –Sunday 15
Our Smuggler’s tour offers you three choices of accommodation.
- The Victoria Hotel. Located at the top of the bank overlooking old Baytown. (www.victoriarhb.com)
- Saxon Villa. Located half a mile from Bay, in Fylingthorpe on an old smugglers route, mid way between Thorpe Hall and Bay. One of the area’s top bed and breakfast establishments on trip adviser. (saxonvilla.co.uk)
- Thorpe Hall. In the heart of Fylingthorpe, Thorpe Hall was home to gentry for centuries and is now a private residence providing bed and breakfast accommodation. It is intrinsically linked with the area’s smuggling heritage. (www.thorpe-hall.co.uk)
Smuggler’s tour costings
Tour price is £300 per person. Our tour costs include standard room accommodation, two breakfasts, two three course evening meals, buffet lunch and the two course luncheon. All guides, talks and transportation are also included. Drinks to accompany meals are not included. Prices are based on two people sharing a standard double room. Please contact us if you would like a single room.
Cost also includes VAT.
- Delux rooms with sea view may be available at the Victoria Hotel for a small extra charge. Please ask for details.
- Also ask about special rates for a third night at your accommodation.